Skip to main content

Introductions

We are a blended family. What does blended mean? Well, divorce, separations, or death can cause a speed wobble on our way in life. And many times from this suffering and dark moments, something new can be born. Hard lessons are learnt and we are off to learn new lessons with new people. In our case step parents, children and adopted pets!

Currently, our "little" family consists of a little girl, her step father Uncle Michal, myself, 2 little dogs and 2 littler hamsters. Her biological father lives in a town about 2 hours from us. He has remarried and is a step dad to a girl and boy. I would say our setup is good but that is a whole other topic for another day. Michal has a son from a previous marriage, but that situation is somewhat more prickly. I have managed to glimpse the boy at school sporting events.

Let's start with the girl who'll tell you she's almost 7 years old. Of course a mother will brag. She is bright and has such a vivid imagination with a sensitive and kind soul. Her name is Samantha which of course I knew would be shortened to Sam. Her biological father likes to call her Sammy. The year is coming to an end and she is attending her 2nd last day of school (or as she would put it "1 more sleepy till holidays") It will be our summer break where she will spend 3 weeks of it with her father and the remainder with us (about 5 weeks of WHAT am I going to do to keep her busy).

 Just like moms refer to the father of their children as dad, in our household we say Uncle Michal. We spoke to Samantha about step parents. She was about 4 years old and felt comfortable calling him Uncle Michal and her step mom Aunty. Michal came from a blended family himself and said he was well over 18 years old before he considered calling his step father "dad". He calls his biological father "pa". So we left it at that. It will never be forced or spoken of and we will leave the decision to Sam. If she ever wants to call him that or never. We are ok with that.

Having two young dogs in our household is like having toddlers all over again. We recently moved to a house where we could keep animals. And all of us being dog people (sorry cat people) we adopted a Jack Russell puppy. On his card he is Captain Jack Sparrow, but we all call him Jack Jack. Or if he's naughty "Jack Stoutgat Sparrow". He is now 6 months old and loves to carry things such as socks, towels, blankets, bras, panties and basically anything he can through the doggy door and out into the yard for the world to see. And he is a fast little bastard. Especially with your knickers on display. And once you have caught him you must carefully pry it from his lock jaw or you may have a holy pair of knickers too. I think I should put him on a dog shaming post! Otherwise he is a lovely, sweet and friendly dog. We never got him to be a guard dog, it was purely for companionship as I spend most days home alone. So we took him to parkruns and dog walks, socialized him with all matter of people and animals. He loves little people and often scares the crap out of them because he runs full blast for them, but jumps up and covers them in kisses. I am now very careful and tell people that he just wants to greet before letting him loose. He looks as if his tail could wag off his butt!

Soon however, we decided to be on the lookout for another doggy. The reason being, none of us, Samantha included could keep up with Jack Jack. He needed someone he could pester day in and day out. So I began browsing SPCA's and Pet Centre's. Our only criteria was "small" and "friendly". Especially towards children. Of course I have a soft spot for all dogs, and whenever the local SPCA would post a bigger dog my heart would turn to mush. But no, our yard would be too small. We go for walks as often as we can (once a week if things go badly) but a big dog would just get so frustrated. Eventually, we stumbled upon a year old Daschund. Bella (keeping with the movie theme we called her Elizabeth Bella Swan) Her owners could no longer keep her as they were moving.
Oh what a timid little darling with the biggest ears I had ever seen. Slowly, after about 2 weeks her personality began to show. Now she rules the roost. And man oh man can she bark. A rustle of leaves: bark bark bark. A gate opens three houses down from us: bark bark bark. She is very protective and our walks are improving her social skills tremendously as she realizes not every human or other dog needs to be spoken to. She is an incredible jumper. She clears the kitchen counter where she polished off some homemade burgers I had spent the afternoon slaving over. My fiancé managed to eat his before heading to work (on the nightshift) and when I went to get mine they were gone. Gone. I looked at Jack who seemed forlorn. It wasn't him. Bella was nowhere to be found. Sigh. Toast and cheese it is then. She loves to tunnel under the bed covers, and sleep by feet. Then you get a cold, wet snoot on your toes and she curls up to sleep. Jack prefers sleeping on top of the bed covers or next to the bed against the wall (no idea why, possibly nice and cool/warm against the wall). But he wakes at the crack of bloody dawn and announces to the world that he is awake by standing on you. And not just anywhere but somewhere where his weight is uncomfortable. Like your stomach. Or your face. Then he smells the bed covers, finds Bella and pounces on her. Well then we are ALL AWAKE.

We are going to celebrate the hamsters first birthdays. Carrots and Cucumber are dwarf hamsters who love to sleep all day and run around all night. My fiancé thought our house was being broken into. It was around midnight and he leapt from the bed giving me half a heart attack. He grabbed a torch, a cricket bat and in his boxers dashed down the hall way. Leaving me to think What in the Heck! He came back sheepishly and hopped back into bed. "Bloody hamster wheel". Well now with my heart pounding in my head and my adrenaline in the red, sleep was far off and I lay there listening to "grrr grrr grrr....grrr grrr grr" Hamster wheels. Bloody murder.

And then there's me. Charmaine. A crazy woman about to expose how she takes over the world with depression and anxiety. How I am attempting to heal my thinking errors for myself and my family. And share the mundane little things which, it turns out, to be the big things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sucker For Christmas

I am a sucker for Christmas. I remember it being my favourite time of year when growing up. Then I had a few years from my teens till when my daughter was born that weren't so magical anymore. I guess it was part of growing up. After my daughter was born, the spark of Christmas ignited once again and it is the one time of year I like to go all out. We put up the tree before my daughter went off to visit her dad for three weeks. Yes, three! She will be back just after Christmas so we will be celebrating it twice. The first few days I spent wondering what to do with my life. Then I got motivated to climb into my hobbies that get neglected with the roller coaster of motherhood. Any mothers suffer severe guilt if they start to enjoy their alone time? I like to call this motherhood psychosis. We really can't give ourselves a break! The tree has its honored place in the lounge and I can glimpse it every day as I type. I always get warm feelings. Except that it is 30⁰C in

The Power of Sleep

The last 2 years have been exceptionally difficult without a solid reason. I just can't seem to cope with the smallest things and I am beyond tired. It began at work during my instrumentation learnership (and it is possible it began long before this). I suffered indescribable migraines and lunch times I needed to lay my head down. Not the "I feel like a nap" kind of post lunch feeling. This was extreme exhaustion that even if I was walking around I needed to get back to sit down. I couldn't cope anymore. Doctors visits and blood tests later and there was nothing to say there is something wrong. But something was wrong and finally after an explosive migraine episode at work I left and never returned. I suffered migraines and what I can only describe as a post migraine recovery for a week. A doctor said my optic nerve was swollen. I began getting pains in my shoulders, down my arms to my wrists. Pins and needles in my hands and legs. My physical activity crashed and I w

The Power of Sleep Part 2

Please read part 1 here  The Power of Sleep The day I was booked to test the CPAP machine started like any other day. Coffee first and foremost, crazy mad rush to get Sam to school and then to town. I needed to buy some goodies for the wedding. T-minus 14 days. Around 9am I get a phone call from the Neurologist making sure everything is still on for that evenings test. Half an hour later I get a phone call from the medical aid. They haven't approved the test for that evening. Reason being? My sleep apnoea isn't severe enough. OK, so if you suffer more than 5 apnoea's an hour it is considered abnormal. If you suffer more than 10 it starts to seriously affect your life. I suffer 25 apnoea's in an hour. What did they want? No, it needs to be over 30. Even the neurologist didn't have words. It is at this point that I burst into tears. The shear frustration of being so close to testing a solution and the medical aid is being an ass. The amount of money paid to them