Skip to main content

Mommy is in Time Out

Motherhood is a tough job and generally, we are the last person to think of that needs care. Right up until we run ourselves into the red. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at the beginning of this year and this mommy has had to pull the breaks and start looking at how she must care for herself too! So from one mother to another. I am putting you in Time Out. Here is a list of things I do that count as self care for this mommy. And many of these can be done with the kids running around, breaking the house down. 



1. Hair Mask. Whether you buy it over the counter or make your own, massaging that stuff into your scalp is bliss. Even more so if someone else does it! I use coconut oil. My hair and scalp is dry. So dry. When I miss my weekly treatment, I feel like my hair is turning into a brittle wisp that may just blow away on a windy day, like tumble weed. I melt a little in the microwave, rub it through from root to tip, put a movie on and start with the little ones hair. This turns out to be some great Sunday afternoon bonding for us. And for a few moments, things don't feel so manic.

2. Face Mask. I won't ever use the chocolate one again. That is just torture which led me buying, and then eating a bar of chocolate. I prefer the non-food ones. Like mud.

3. Foot Spa. If you don't have one of those fancy ones, a broad bucket will do. With hot, steaming, melt away hot water. I have heard using Epsom salts is great. I have the Epsom salts but what with the dogs that drink my foot water I am too afraid to use it.


                                    
4. Hobby it up. I love to read. And when I'm feeling sore I like to grab my favourite story. My favourites look a bit bedraggled. I left this one on the couch and a certain Jack Russell saw fit to taste it. Fortunately he didn't eat any of the important words. Now I am just reading Making M by Terry Pratchett.




5. Try physiotherapy. This comes with a warning label. I walk in sore. I leave cripple. The benefits is that I recover much faster. My physio says I should see her once a week. I go once a month. 


6. Low impact exercises. Stretches. Yoga. YouTube is awesome. I don't need to leave the house and my daughter can play around me and even joins in. The dogs like to join in too. Usually under your feet. Or licking your face.

 

7. Hot water bottle the aches away. I hate using painkillers. One: their side effects can knock you on your ass for the remainder of the day, and two: they can become highly addictive. For fibro I am on a mild painkiller. I thought it wasn't working till I forgot to take it one day.

8. Go for a walk. I get my little ones bike out and we go around the block. The trees are old in our street so it gives this lovely ethereal effect. Of course, I am armed with pepper spray and the ability to lift myself and my daughter up any of those trees if need be. You may laugh but I have been chased by a dog and thank goodness for big, old trees. 

9. Warm drinks (or cold). Have that favourite cup (or glass) of drink you should probably not have because it contains 10kg of sugar. I am of course talking about hot chocolate (of course this is where you insert your favourite here and that can include something alcoholic.) There are less sugar options in the world if you must avoid the sugar! (We must all avoid the sugar but let's not talk about that right now.)

10. Sleep. Yes, let us all have a moment to laugh at this one. When the kids have fallen asleep and mom has a moment to herself to be herself. At the end of the day though, everyone else is completely knackered out and then the mother sits by her computer and types one of these lists. So basically I am telling you to do as I say and not as I do. Usually mom is the last one awake, and there is a blissfully quiet moment before the chaos of the next day begins. 

                                    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sucker For Christmas

I am a sucker for Christmas. I remember it being my favourite time of year when growing up. Then I had a few years from my teens till when my daughter was born that weren't so magical anymore. I guess it was part of growing up. After my daughter was born, the spark of Christmas ignited once again and it is the one time of year I like to go all out. We put up the tree before my daughter went off to visit her dad for three weeks. Yes, three! She will be back just after Christmas so we will be celebrating it twice. The first few days I spent wondering what to do with my life. Then I got motivated to climb into my hobbies that get neglected with the roller coaster of motherhood. Any mothers suffer severe guilt if they start to enjoy their alone time? I like to call this motherhood psychosis. We really can't give ourselves a break! The tree has its honored place in the lounge and I can glimpse it every day as I type. I always get warm feelings. Except that it is 30⁰C in

The Power of Sleep Part 2

Please read part 1 here  The Power of Sleep The day I was booked to test the CPAP machine started like any other day. Coffee first and foremost, crazy mad rush to get Sam to school and then to town. I needed to buy some goodies for the wedding. T-minus 14 days. Around 9am I get a phone call from the Neurologist making sure everything is still on for that evenings test. Half an hour later I get a phone call from the medical aid. They haven't approved the test for that evening. Reason being? My sleep apnoea isn't severe enough. OK, so if you suffer more than 5 apnoea's an hour it is considered abnormal. If you suffer more than 10 it starts to seriously affect your life. I suffer 25 apnoea's in an hour. What did they want? No, it needs to be over 30. Even the neurologist didn't have words. It is at this point that I burst into tears. The shear frustration of being so close to testing a solution and the medical aid is being an ass. The amount of money paid to them

The Power of Sleep

The last 2 years have been exceptionally difficult without a solid reason. I just can't seem to cope with the smallest things and I am beyond tired. It began at work during my instrumentation learnership (and it is possible it began long before this). I suffered indescribable migraines and lunch times I needed to lay my head down. Not the "I feel like a nap" kind of post lunch feeling. This was extreme exhaustion that even if I was walking around I needed to get back to sit down. I couldn't cope anymore. Doctors visits and blood tests later and there was nothing to say there is something wrong. But something was wrong and finally after an explosive migraine episode at work I left and never returned. I suffered migraines and what I can only describe as a post migraine recovery for a week. A doctor said my optic nerve was swollen. I began getting pains in my shoulders, down my arms to my wrists. Pins and needles in my hands and legs. My physical activity crashed and I w