Skip to main content

Birthday Parties, Forties, Cake & Family

I believe the best thing about a big party is getting to see family and friends that you don't often get to see due to distance and time. Time gets away from us all as we make our way through life.

Today is the birthday of someone very special in my life. My fiancé and very soon to be husband (if everything goes according to plan!) He entered my life some years ago. He was reserved and quiet. Exactly the kind of person I enjoyed yakking to. We lost contact and it was some years before we bumped into each other again.

This time he wasn't so quiet and reserved. I am glad he wasn't as we may have missed this opportunity to be happy. I remember the Christmas dinner he was introduced to the family. I think he was sweating. Even more so when he said he's going to ask my parents' permission (the very noble way of him) to marry me. I heard about his nerves afterwards.

Taking up the position of step father without a falter in his step. Providing us with tremendous support and love during some great and tough times. After my fibro diagnosis and taking medication that ballooned my weight, he still loves with all his being.  
We celebrated his 40th birthday a month in advance on the 11th of November opposed to the 15th of December because many people wouldn't be able to make it over the Christmas season. It was a lovely gathering of family, and I got to meet his rather extensive one. We jokingly refer to the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". My family is the small, reserved one and his enormous family as the party slingers.

Most importantly, we had fun. He danced and jolled with his brothers which I am sure hasn't happened in years and we are so lucky to be in such a position to have that. I am so lucky that this man came along when he did and swept me off my feet. Of course, I told him there will be no sweeping me off my feet and carrying me over the threshold on our wedding. A). I have seen enough fail videos to know what lies down that road. B). I am relatively big.

So to this special man in my life. Thank you for going all out for us. We appreciate all you do. May you bless us with many more years to come. We love you lots!

We would like to thank everyone that came, every one of you made it special for Michal. Thanks to the caterers Shefit, their food was amazing! And thank you to Ayesha for the beautiful (and delicious) birthday cake. If anyone is looking for help food wise for an event in the Teksa area, check these people out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sucker For Christmas

I am a sucker for Christmas. I remember it being my favourite time of year when growing up. Then I had a few years from my teens till when my daughter was born that weren't so magical anymore. I guess it was part of growing up. After my daughter was born, the spark of Christmas ignited once again and it is the one time of year I like to go all out. We put up the tree before my daughter went off to visit her dad for three weeks. Yes, three! She will be back just after Christmas so we will be celebrating it twice. The first few days I spent wondering what to do with my life. Then I got motivated to climb into my hobbies that get neglected with the roller coaster of motherhood. Any mothers suffer severe guilt if they start to enjoy their alone time? I like to call this motherhood psychosis. We really can't give ourselves a break! The tree has its honored place in the lounge and I can glimpse it every day as I type. I always get warm feelings. Except that it is 30⁰C in

The Power of Sleep

The last 2 years have been exceptionally difficult without a solid reason. I just can't seem to cope with the smallest things and I am beyond tired. It began at work during my instrumentation learnership (and it is possible it began long before this). I suffered indescribable migraines and lunch times I needed to lay my head down. Not the "I feel like a nap" kind of post lunch feeling. This was extreme exhaustion that even if I was walking around I needed to get back to sit down. I couldn't cope anymore. Doctors visits and blood tests later and there was nothing to say there is something wrong. But something was wrong and finally after an explosive migraine episode at work I left and never returned. I suffered migraines and what I can only describe as a post migraine recovery for a week. A doctor said my optic nerve was swollen. I began getting pains in my shoulders, down my arms to my wrists. Pins and needles in my hands and legs. My physical activity crashed and I w

The Power of Sleep Part 2

Please read part 1 here  The Power of Sleep The day I was booked to test the CPAP machine started like any other day. Coffee first and foremost, crazy mad rush to get Sam to school and then to town. I needed to buy some goodies for the wedding. T-minus 14 days. Around 9am I get a phone call from the Neurologist making sure everything is still on for that evenings test. Half an hour later I get a phone call from the medical aid. They haven't approved the test for that evening. Reason being? My sleep apnoea isn't severe enough. OK, so if you suffer more than 5 apnoea's an hour it is considered abnormal. If you suffer more than 10 it starts to seriously affect your life. I suffer 25 apnoea's in an hour. What did they want? No, it needs to be over 30. Even the neurologist didn't have words. It is at this point that I burst into tears. The shear frustration of being so close to testing a solution and the medical aid is being an ass. The amount of money paid to them